Who was your Mentor? More than likely there is someone in particular who contributed to your career success. If you’ve seen today’s Compass, our Ad (which kicks off the Classifieds Section every Friday) is promoting this worthy non-profit, and encouraging readers to Start Something.
There are many reasons to consider becoming a Mentor or a “Big”. Big Brothers Big Sisters is a volunteer programme which provides children and teens with an opportunity to have a friend with life experience, a fresh perspective and a desire to see them excel.
Some of the benefits to both Bigs and Littles are:
· 91% feel better about themselves.
· 65% have improved self-confidence.
· 67% have a better sense of right and wrong.
· 76% show improved school grades.
· 80% have a better school attendance record.
· 82% develop better relationships with their teacher.
· 90% get along better with other kids.
· strengthened commitment to community service.
· increased satisfaction from helping others.
· improved interpersonal relations with spouses and children.
· improved leadership and communication skills.
· enhanced job satisfaction, stronger professional identity
· increased self-confidence, and self-esteem
· more appreciation for youth with backgrounds different from yours
· increased compassion and tolerance for other view points
Do you think you have what it takes to be a Big Brother or Sister? Are you ready to Start Something?
Contact BBBS Cayman Islands today to see if they can match you with a child who would benefit from having a friend like you.
Office: (345) 945-6315